Thursday, July 21, 2016

It's Spelled Holtzmann...

Yup, I apologize for the typos in earlier posts regarding my new favorite Ghostbuster, Dr. Jillian Holtzmann.
When I first began this journey, I only ever saw it spelled with one 'n'. I should have followed my gut and added the extra 'n'.

Anyways...a few updates to share so far; I'm planning on one of two things...
1. Buy 2 of the Red Kap fisher herringbone twill coveralls (#CC16), and bleach the crap out of both to redye them the correct khaki shade. Then I'd use one for parts to build the correct pockets and front neck closure extensions.
2. Buy some herringbone weave cotton twill, dye it, and make the coveralls myself.
I'm leaning toward the bleaching....but we'll see. I CAN sew them from scratch, but do I WANT or NEED to? Hmmmm...



I found even more accurate wire safety glasses...and by more accurate, I mean 99% the EXACT SAME model as Holtzmann's (1% difference is just the green lenses, at left) . They are Cesco 22s and in better condition than a previous pair I found (at right).
The green lenses will get replaced with yellow lenses instead of the found glasses mentioned in previous posts. So, I may have a banged-up-but-a-fun-project pair to sell because of this, and they are also the accurate Cesco 22 model used in the film. Keep an eye on this blog for any future links to auctions or Etsy.
(The lenses on those are clear, there is a bit of rust, the mesh sides are a bit bent and mis-matched slightly).


The 'Screw U' pendant. It's a thing of beautiful science humor that, I think, is lost on many.
Here is my theory: In classic Holtzmann style, it's a reference to the uranium element, with her added random bit of humor. Not only because uranium can indeed screw you, but because she's an awesome weirdo, who takes functional (albeit dangerous) things and makes them altogether better. Or in this case; science made into an honestly amusing statement to the world.
;-)
Anyways...the pendant is available to be 3D printed, and you can have these folks even print it in metal. As a cost-saver for now, I went with the black plastic that I can buff smooth and paint with metallics, until I can get the nicer version made in steel or silver.

And finally, this last one cracks me up realizing the lengths to which I go for costuming/cosplay/tribute projects. I'm still not sure if it's by chance that I stumble onto these things (as if I have a magic cosplay supply-finding magnet somewhere in my body), or if I just like a good treasure hunt, but...
I found Holtzmann's socks.
Her SOCKS, for cryin' out loud. Yes, I'm weird.
The exact pattern and brand, but they're cute!
So, as shameless as it may seem, I actually needed new socks. Seriously; my toes make a break for it in nearly every pair I currently own.
They are made by the brand 'B.ella', the style name is called 'Pamela' and you can get the sage and green polka-dot style here!
Trying to remember if she had on mis-matched socks in this scene, but it's hard to tell. It seems very Holtzmann, and I mix and match daily myself.
***Edited to add; yes she does have different socks on. I only saw it when I finally got to see the below picture in a better resolution. The other is a stripey grey pattern**
With that said; check it out, my Droogies...


P.S. I'm totally buying more of these in the various color combos they are available in.
<3 <3 <3
P.P.S. Because a few of you inquired over at this post; here is a photo of me wearing the same model of glasses Holtzmann wears in the epic battle. They are made by American Optical, and are the AO Safety Eyeglasses, size 48. I purchased them here.
***Be mindful of sizing.*** A 46 is good for smaller faces, while a 50 is good for larger/wider faces. I went with the size 48, and I have about an average width oval shape face.
I'll try to add more/better photos in the coming weeks, of the various styles I'll be working with.





6 comments:

  1. The pic of you wearing the final battle/American Optical glasses didn't show up (or maybe my phone is having issues)? Thanks for sharing, it's great to see someone else's process!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ack, sorry about that! I made an update and it didn't save the photo.
      I hope the one I just added sticks ;)
      Better photos coming soon.

      Delete
  2. How are you switching out the lenses in the Cescos? Having it professionally done, or DIYing it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Corinna,
      most likely I'll have it professionally done. Since I'll be getting plastic or polycarbonate non-prescription lenses, it won't be too painful of a bill at my optometrist ;)

      Delete
  3. I love your dedication in obtaining these items. Was looking at safety goggles last night and this helps. I'm also working on a proton pack. Have you created one? You make an awesome Holtzmann!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much K.P!
      I have not yet started any attempt at a proton pack. It will need to wait until after Dragon Con in a few weeks. BUT, I have another similar, Holtzmann-inspired cosplay project up my sleeve, that involves proton weaponry.
      It's a secret for now, but I'll take photos and post about it when it's done and ready for Dragon Con.
      xoxox

      Delete

Thanks for your comment, and I will do my best to review and approve asap!

***I welcome discussion and polite debate, however; comments that are intended to harass, bully, insult, threaten or are just made to be antagonizing, will not be permitted.